I hope my idea will help others who stutter

Stuttering Forum Forums Stuttering Forum I hope my idea will help others who stutter

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  D1BaseballStutter 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

mayfieldga
    Participant

I have an idea that helped me. I will send the complete idea to all. I feel it is socially created and can be corrected. I feel there are other things that occur over time while stuttering, which also requires changes. I feel we can all use this approach.
    I feel stuttering is related to stress but “not in the sense” our society believes it to be. It is not an immediate situation, but beginning at an early age, a child is dealt with a situation, circumstance, or other big change in their life that creates high internalized stress they are not able to deal with effectively and resolve at a young age. This creates high internalized stress in the child. As these layers accumulate internally, they create higher muscle tension. This high muscle tension can become sufficiently intense to constrict the air flow, thus creating the stutter. I feel over time, this creates a muscle memory or tighter or more closed position in area that could affect air flow. I also see our average stress much differently as many layers of past, present, future experiences, fears, needs, problems, values of self/others/society, circumstance, anything that creates unresolved mental work and is maintained by the mind. Another idea is that muscle memory can occur without longer term muscle tension but simply the muscles reacting over time from habit. I would like to see more research on both muscle tension and muscle reactions toward some memory state. There is also the possibility of a longer-term, continual situation where a person, usually a very young person, not able deal cognitively or openly, may feel forced to internalize events, treatment, or an atmosphere they may feel forced to internalize over time. Given my definition of average stress, this can remain as many layers and in turn, create higher muscle tension to the point of creating a stutter. Again, mental frictions while occurring during situational stress are not the cause of stuttering but high average layers of mental frictions already present have created high average muscle tension that have created the stutter.
    We cannot just relax to correct the problem. However, I found something that may help point to the cause and cure for stuttering as I cured my stutter. In my learning theory, I show how all of us are acclimated to different amounts or layers of mental frictions that accumulate to impede thinking and learning. These layers can be more permanently lowered to improve thinking and learning. While my theory helps to improve these areas, I also noticed another help; it reduced my stuttering.
    I feel as internalized layers of mental frictions accumulate in our lives, this also creates higher muscle tension. In my case and others who stutter, this muscle tension constricts airflow from the diaphragm and other areas, which create the stutter. We cannot relax to remove this muscle tension, for it is rooted in layers of mental frictions, which we have accumulated. In addition, these muscles develop a muscle memory that will contract or tighten around the diaphragm even when we do not expect them to and create a stutter. I feel there are two large tools we can use to more permanently lower layers of mental frictions over time and more permanently reduce the muscle tension that creates the stutter.
    1. We can all learn to understand more how the elements of our individual circumstances, responsibilities, and the weights or values we place on elements in our life past and present. Then, we can begin to understand and approach those elements in our life more delicately each day to more permanently resolve, set up changes in some principles or values that created the mental friction and begin to more permanently remove layers of mental frictions from our life from many areas of our past, present, future mental work we carry with us. This may require a change in weights or values we are currently placing on elements in our life. As we learn to resolve and prevent like mental frictions, we will more permanently reduce layers of mental frictions. This will lower and maintain fewer layers of mental frictions and also reduce our average muscle tension that is creating and maintaining the stutter.
    2. Second, we can learn to understand more, the delicate dynamics of pace and intensity in approaching mental work in our life – As our pace and intensity in approaching problems, academics, etc. exceed our immediate knowledge and experience, we create exponentially greater mental friction. We can learn to approach both old and new mental work more delicately and more slowly at first to help more permanently reduce layers of mental frictions. I am not talking about speech but the way we approach elements in our everyday life that given “incorrect pace and intensity” leads to higher and more intense layers of average mental frictions that hinder mental/emotional growth and add to our muscle tension. I try to use even my attitude of doing all I do in a more easy manner or using my mental, emotional, physical energy more easy or correctly. This means rising sufficiently to perform all I do but try not to use more energy than necessary or rush.
    I designed these tools to break the myth of permanence in ability by showing how our individual environments greatly affect thinking, learning, and reflection time. However, in my case, the more permanent lowering of mental frictions also reduced muscle tension, and enabled greater ease of speech.
    As for the last problem of cluttering (and also for correcting stuttering): in a physical way, I also learned to read openly, passages from pages and learning to express the whole sounds of each syllable by exaggeratingly opening my mouth to express those individual sounds (not prolongation but simply more ease and “very full” expression of the syllables). I would practice this at home using very slow exaggerated whole enunciation of syllables and then use a milder version while in public. I would carry out the full value of each syllable in the words in the whole paragraph or page. If I were reading the word, “elephant”, I would imagine a circle around each syllable and then pronounce the “e” fully to fill the imaginary circle around each syllable, so as to say “e”, “le”, “phant”. I think by exaggeratingly and more slowly carrying these syllables to their fullest value and practicing this at least once a day, I was creating much more smoothness and rhythm to my speech. I was also allowing my speech to slow somewhat by allowing a fraction of a second more in time to create the individual sounds. When I talked in public, I would still use this but in a much more subtle way, the expanded syllables of the words I was saying. For those from the South, I found a little bit of soul helps also. As for this use of an accent, for those who do not have one, I would use more thought to measure your words with more feeling so you get more varied tone, inflection and voice stress. This I feel also greatly enhances rhythm, smoothness, and more distance between syllables and words.
    When I more permanently lowered my average mental frictions, I eliminated my stutter. The muscle memory still needed more time to revert more permanently to a more relaxed, homeostatic or a “eased state”. Apparently, the reduced muscle tension allowed various muscles to work more smoothly and freely, thus allowing my speech to become fluent. There are rare occasions when there is a muscle constriction and an occasional stutter. However, my circumstances and responsibilities are not the norm, so I am grateful for the fluent speech I do have in spite of my circumstances. Remember, the memory of that muscle tension is still present and will require much time in a more relaxed state for those muscles to recondition themselves to enable more continual fluent speech or more eased average muscle tension.
    I will send my complete paper to all on request.

D1BaseballStutter
    Participant

I’m interested in the full sheet. Sounds wise

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.