have you tried xanax xr.. ?

Home Forums Stuttering Forum have you tried xanax xr.. ?

This topic contains 113 replies, has 51 voices, and was last updated by  Hooper 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #3407

    fearfactory
    Participant

    its been said that you will just need to take this in the morning once…and the effect is all day long..

    any experience with this guys in stuttering…

    tnx

    #40430

    marktb68
    Participant

    Instead of focusing your attention on outside remedies that merely mask your problem, why not concentrate on becoming more fluent and don’t rely on drugs?

    I haven’t posted here in awhile b/c of the lack of taking responsiblity on MOST of the members. If you guys/gals are lookiing for a quick fix, keep looking. It doesn’t exist. Your fluency is inside you. It takes hard work and NO MORE EXCUSES. However, some people love to feel sorry for themselves and put others down who have become fluent. It reinforces something inside them.

    Its amazing to me that I posted my phone number and NOT A SINGLE PERSON called it. The only reason I responded to this is because I got a message in my yahoo inbox about a reply.

    think about overcoming your fears and stuttering and not looking to xanax to solve your problems.

    Mark

    #40495

    TK421
    Participant

    I’m also very curious about it. And if I may add, who would normally prescribe it the quickest? A psychiatrist or just any old doctor?

    #40454

    inter82
    Participant

    I have tried to get Xanax in the past. First it took me about a week to get an appointment to see the family doctor. The family doctor was useless, refused to give me any drugs and suggested I go see a speech therapist (which is not covered by insurance). When I insisted to see a psychiatrist, she finally agreed. It took me another month to make an appointment with an assistant of the psychiatrist, who subsequently determined that I “qualify” to see the big man himself. It took another two months for me to finally see the psychiatrist. Finally after two months when I met the psychiatrist, he said he won’t give me Xanax for my stuttering or anxiety because it is addictive, not prescribed for stuttering blah blah blah… So there’s more than 3 months of my life wasted, I’m never going through that phase again.

    #40472

    Thecoherentman
    Participant

    @inter82 39218 wrote:

    I have tried to get Xanax in the past. First it took me about a week to get an appointment to see the family doctor. The family doctor was useless, refused to give me any drugs and suggested I go see a speech therapist (which is not covered by insurance). When I insisted to see a psychiatrist, she finally agreed. It took me another month to make an appointment with an assistant of the psychiatrist, who subsequently determined that I “qualify” to see the big man himself. It took another two months for me to finally see the psychiatrist. Finally after two months when I met the psychiatrist, he said he won’t give me Xanax for my stuttering or anxiety because it is addictive, not prescribed for stuttering blah blah blah… So there’s more than 3 months of my life wasted, I’m never going through that phase again.

    God Bless Canada! Viva Canadian health care!
    Stuttering is the symptom of a natural internal mental conflict that must be resolved peacefully by better mental clarity and not by poisoning the brain with Xanax. There are women farmers near Caspian sea that feed opium to their noisy children so they can work without being bothered. If you poison your brain so parts of it give up fighting and the remainder produce fluent speech then you are a partial person.

    #40436

    Derek181
    Participant

    mark that is the biggest load of crock ive ever heard. Xanax xr is a drug that could potentially help a lot of stutterers here. it reduces anxiety in the most stressful and social situations. So why not go on it to give it a try to see if it could reduce the anxiety. Also i know what ya mean, doctors are soooo reluctant to prescribe drugs these days.

    #40496

    TK421
    Participant

    Interesting theories. I’ve always been open minded to what new technological and medical advances can do for us, and I guess I clump drugs like Xanax into that same category. I never really thought about it as poisoning the brain, but I do see where you are coming from. Do you guys feel the same way about all medications?

    #40426

    Anonymous

    humm i dont understand why doctors are soo reluctant to prescribe drugs?whts soo wrong with drugs if they are used not for a long time!!i never ever went to a pcy or speech therapist or anyting but im intending to go cus i believe i cant overcome my fears and anxiety and depression only by myself,then why not try drugs just for a short period then if it aint work,i wil surly rely on myself then , face the truth and carry on….im not relying on drugs to fix my stuttering but just for the sake of my fears and anxiety when im around people…

    #40455

    Luffy
    Participant

    @Derek181 39228 wrote:

    mark that is the biggest load of crock ive ever heard. Xanax xr is a drug that could potentially help a lot of stutterers here. it reduces anxiety in the most stressful and social situations. So why not go on it to give it a try to see if it could reduce the anxiety. Also i know what ya mean, doctors are soooo reluctant to prescribe drugs these days.

    Nothing wrong with that they are reluctant. Many of these drugs are serious stuff and have severe and nasty side effects.

    #40473

    Thecoherentman
    Participant

    @TK421 39229 wrote:

    Interesting theories. I’ve always been open minded to what new technological and medical advances can do for us, and I guess I clump drugs like Xanax into that same category. I never really thought about it as poisoning the brain, but I do see where you are coming from. Do you guys feel the same way about all medications?

    I am for using any drug that does not cause permanent damage and only for short term as experiment. Stutterer must experience possibilities and be empowered to stutter in many different ways. This way he will be empowered (in long term) not to stutter also. Role flexibility is a big asset for a stutterer as long as he does not use it in a dishonest way. Drugs can help in playing with different roles.
    Xanax perhaps must not be used more than once unless if you are near death.

    #40439

    Stevelaz
    Participant

    @Thecoherentman 39223 wrote:

    God Bless Canada! Viva Canadian health care!
    Stuttering is the symptom of a natural internal mental conflict that must be resolved peacefully by better mental clarity and not by poisoning the brain with Xanax. There are women farmers near Caspian sea that feed opium to their noisy children so they can work without being bothered. If you poison your brain so parts of it give up fighting and the remainder produce fluent speech then you are a partial person.

    Hi,

    Just a quick question….do you disagree with ALL drugs?…..surely if someone can gain some benefits that outweigh the negatives by taking a drug would it not be a wise thing to do?

    I think its fairly much accepted that as stutterers that we have a chemical issue in our brain that affects the speech timing and this causes habitual problems and the anxiety makes it worse, so would it not make sense to reduce the anxiety and try to stop the downward spiral and then wean off the drug.

    There have been studies with other drugs (i.e. celexa and xanax) that ahve proven successful and after a while the patient can be weaned off the xanax and just leave the celexa to move forward with….I am not an advocate for drugs, but if the benefits outweigh the negatives and if it is closely monitored, wht not see how it goes.

    Do you have a method or therapy that will help us all here that does not require drugs?

    Kind regards

    #40449

    chris2112
    Participant

    @Stevelaz 39246 wrote:

    Do you have a method or therapy that will help us all here that does not require drugs?

    Acceptance, its much stronger then a pill lol. Obviously people want to take pills to reduce there anxiety about stuttering, but why do you have anxiety? because you haven’t accepted it. When you actually accept that you stutter and don’t give it anxious thought anymore, your brain chemistry is completely different. Just like pills, your thoughts are real things that give significant chemistry changes in your whole body. So I recommend acceptance, definitely the #1 fluency enhancer for me, and you won’t have any anxiety to take pills for lol.

    #40427

    urbanmermaid
    Participant

    @marktb68 39190 wrote:

    Instead of focusing your attention on outside remedies that merely mask your problem, why not concentrate on becoming more fluent and don’t rely on drugs?

    I haven’t posted here in awhile b/c of the lack of taking responsibility on MOST of the members. If you guys/gals are looking for a quick fix, keep looking. It doesn’t exist. Your fluency is inside you. It takes hard work and NO MORE EXCUSES. However, some people love to feel sorry for themselves and put others down who have become fluent. It reinforces something inside them.

    Its amazing to me that I posted my phone number and NOT A SINGLE PERSON called it. The only reason I responded to this is because I got a message in my yahoo inbox about a reply.

    think about overcoming your fears and stuttering and not looking to xanax to solve your problems.

    Mark

    It really annoys me to read things like that and on top of all on a stuttering forum…. When is EVERYONE and I mean, EVERYONE going to realize that stuttering is not something that you can control just like that??

    How do you overcome your fears Mark? Telling yourself to “slow down”, “spit it out”, will that eliminate your stutter, maybe lower your dopamine levels, fix that complex brain chemistry imbalance? People don’t stutter because they’re scared, the stuttering generates anxiety which is a big problem. Maybe by calling you people will suddenly become stronger and overcome their fears??

    I was talking to someone the other day and I realized, in cases of OCD for example (which was untreatable in the past, no drugs were available for it), no one will go telling you bulls**t like “don’t think about it, eliminate your fears, you’re weak, become a stronger person”.. NO, they’ll give you drugs straight away to treat your condition. OCD can get pretty bad in people who don’t treat it. Same with stuttering, thing is, it has been ignored for soo long, not studied and researched, made fun of, and there are so many misconceptions about it it’s unbelievable.

    I don’t want to make this a long post because I hate those. I’ll just say that yes, I am in favor of drugs because I’ve tried so many things in the past, lost count of the number of “specialists” I went to (who surprisingly enough said the same kind of stuff… like slow down, take a deep breath, take your time which I’m not saying is bad, just it is NOT what someone with a stutter needs), paid a fortune etc and it didn’t help one bit. Yes, I am taking xanax and it changed my life; No, I’m not addicted to it, I’m on a very low dose and it helps tremendously.

    Sorry if this sounded kind of harsh but one of the things that annoys me MOST is ignorance mainly about stuttering.

    #40460

    fearfactory
    Participant

    ive just recently red this post and its something that gives me hope..

    for a doctor to say that he himself was using the drugs for 7 years..its worth a try i guess.. he knows more than anyone of us here i suppose..

    yeah.. i know every drugs has side effects..pips here r ryt.. if a good result outweighs the neg effects.. why not go for a try..dont you want to experience even for some time that you stutter barely or you could control it and have fun speaking..?

    we all people die.. no matter what race we are..how cautious you are with yourself..time comes.. we all gonna die..

    atleast.. before i die.. even for just a short period of time.. i want to enjoy talking..experience the pleasure of effortless fluent speaking..

    just want to repost this..

    ____________________________________________________

    Breakthrough Drug Treatment of Stuttering

    Zahir Ali M.D.

    There has been an unprecedented highly effective drug treatment of stuttering
    since 1992 but unfortunately remained unrecognized to stuttering .
    Who am I? I am a physician but not practicing since 1994.I am originally from
    Pakistan but now residing in USA since 1992.Since 8 years of my age I had
    moderatly severe stuttering.I used combination of cloimipramine( a tricyclic
    antidepressant i.e TCA)and alprazolam( anxiolytic drug from benzodiazipine
    group of drugs) and as result I got 100% control of my 30 years old
    stuttering over 4-6 weeks of treatment.I came to USA in 1992 to join
    physician residency training hospitals.I treated my stuttering while I was in
    my first hospital pragram but I could not continue this program because of my
    personal difficulties.Latter I joined two other hospital programs but I was
    not allowed to continue them,one in 1993-1994 and other in 1994 simply
    because I confided in program directors about story how I cured my stuttering
    and expressed a wish to carry my discovery forward for research.I was called
    disabled physician because of my history of disabling stuttering and also
    using psychiatric medications which had never been supported in scienrtific
    literature as treatment of stuttering.This led them to suspect I was abusing
    this medications.Now-a-days I am going through a long lengthy process to fix
    my immigration status in USA So that I can get legal work permit.I have sent
    already my paper about discovery of drug treatment of stuttering to N.I.H but
    they want me more number of case reports of similar successful stories of
    stuttering control before they decide to conduct a wide scale study.Recently
    I came to know about Dr,John Paul Brady,a emeritus psychiatrist from Univ of
    Pennsylvania.He studied the drug combo on three stutterers and found this
    regime markedly effective in controlling stuttering .He is studying this
    regime on more new cases of stutters.
    How I came To Discovery? Originally I had observed coexistence of stuttering
    and migraine headache in some families including mine.I devised a theory that
    pathophysiology of stuttering and migraine headaches are comparable even
    clinically these are different.I also believed that elements of anxiety and
    depression associated with stuttering contribute the origin of latter to some
    degree.These two concept led me to look for drugs which are antidepressant
    and anxiolytic in their action and also used in treatment of migraine
    headaches.I selected Cloimipramine and Alprazolam.Cloimipramine is an
    antidepressant and also useful in prophylactic treatment of migraine
    headaches.Alprazolam is an anxiolytic drug but it was not recognized to have
    antimigraine action.However alprazolam ,among its fellow group drugs i.e
    benzodiazepines drugs,was
    considered a distinct drug that has additional actions not present in other
    group drugs.My idea worked out and these two drugs in combination conferred
    me absolute fluency.With further experimentation on me I come to an
    unprecedented observation that either of cloimpramine and alprazolam are not
    effective in treating stuttering if used separately but in combination they
    are remarkably effective for the same action.
    What about other antidepressant and anxiolytic drugs? In the beginning I used
    combination of cloimpramine,alprazolam and buspar.Latter I found that buspar
    has no role in treating stuttering.So I discontinued it.In 1994 I
    experimented to use combination of Fluoxetine(Prozac) and alprazolam.This did
    not work in controlling my stuttering.The same observation was also claimed
    by a stutter being treated with drugs for stuttering under Dr.Brady’s
    supervision.Prozac is most commonly used antidepressant medication
    now-a-days.I also experimented to use combination of Cloimipramine and
    Clonazepam(Klonopin) but this also did not work in controlling my
    stuttering.The same observation has also been claimed by a stutter who
    contacted me on internet.Klonopin is an anxiolytic drug from benzodiazepine
    group.These two experiments provided me an interesting conclusion that
    Cloimipramine and Alprazolam are effective in controlling stuttering at least
    not through their antidepressant and anxiolytic actions because if it had
    been then combination of cloimipramine plus clonazepam and prozac plus
    alprazolam would have been effective also as both combinations are effective
    antidepressant and anxiolytic in actions.So how combination of cloimpramine
    and alprazolam are working?I believe it is through anti-migraine action of
    this combination.
    Elavil(Amytriptalin) is another antidepressant and is effective in
    controlling stuttering if it is used with alprazolam.But it appears to me it
    is somewhat less potent than Cloimipramine.
    Dr.Brady has experimented a new antidepressant drug,Celexa or Cytalopram.on
    some stutters.A stutter was put first on combination of cloimpramine and
    alprazoalm.He noticed tremendous improvenment in stuttering but he was not
    tolerant to side effects.Dr.Brady put him on celexa and alprazolam.This
    regime also worked for him and was also more tolerant to this
    combination,Gradually he withdrew alprazolam using celexa alone.The
    candidate claims celexa alone is also working good in his case in controlling
    stuttering.
    Two other stutters under Dr.Brady’s supervision were doing well while using
    cloimipramine and alprazolam in respect to antistuttering action as well as
    side effects.Dr.Brady put them also on Celexa and
    Alprazolam.After a use of 2 weeks,both stutters reported celexa plus
    alprazolam did work in controlling their stuttering but quality of control of
    stuttering and anxiety was superior with cloimipramine plus alprazolam rather
    than celexa plus alprazolam.Both stutters decided to go back to use
    cloimpraime and alprazolam rather than celexa plus alprazolam.
    Dr.Brady is studying on two more stutters now.He put them first on celexa
    plus alprazolam.They are in their first or second week of treatment.It is too
    early to give a definite report about them.
    Two Components of Stuttering in my theory.Patholgically there are two
    components of stuttering i.e stuttering core or organic part of stuttering
    and antcipatory anxiety or behavioral part of stuttering.Latter is secondary
    to former one or stuttering core drives anticipatory anxiety.How?Every
    stutter is aware of bad and good days of stuttering or periodic changes in
    stuttering severity.If anticipatory anxiety had been a primary factor then it
    would have been unbelievable that same stutter with same speaking situation
    shows less stuttering one day and more stuttering other day.It is the
    stuttering core which changes periodically and thus secondary anticipatory
    anxiety accordingly.I believe cloimpramine plus alprazolam act on stuttering
    core and as result anticipatory anxiety is alleviated
    automatically.Traditional speech therapy work on anticipatory anxiety only
    and leaving stuttering core unaffected.In addition to periodic changes of
    stuttering core,latter’s severity also increases or decreases for long
    duration say years or rest of life.If favorable long term changes in
    stuttering core occurs during course of traditional speech therapy, latter is
    credited for successful outcome.
    I have developed a presumptive anatomy of stuttering.Malfunction of
    Hypothalamus-limbic system(HLSrimary center:stuttering Core) affects the
    target center i.e speech regultory centers in left cerbral cortex of
    brain,through intermediate area of caudate nucleus.In non-stutters HLS keeps
    the dominant speech regultaory area in one cortex,most commonly left cortex
    of brain and in some right one.In
    stutters HLS is unable to keep this dominancy so there is bilateral
    activation of cerebral cortex which in turn activate the secondary component
    of anticipatory anxiety through amygdala.The secondory component of anxiety
    aggravate the function of caudate nucleus and thus increasing stuttering
    severity but anxiety has no effect on HLS.
    Are drugs easily available and safe to use?Cloimipraime and alprazolam are
    not new drugs but already under use as antidepressant and anxiolytic
    indications for many years.
    Like other drugs these too have side effects.But generally this combination
    is quite safe under supervision of family physician or a psychiatrist.
    There is no permanent damage to brain or body from use of this combinations.
    Common side effects are sedation,drymouth,constipation and impotency.But
    occurance these side effects is highly relative from individual to
    individual.Some are tolerant to these side effects upto higher doses and
    some are intolerant to these even at lower doses.Further some are sensitive
    to fluency control action of the drugs i.e some need lower doses to control
    stuttering and others need higher doses.Obviously those who needs lower doses
    they are less likely to see side effects and vice versa.
    All side effects tend to decrease with continued use of drugs over a period
    of time.
    Do the drugs loose their effectiveness with continued use? I have used the
    regime over last 7 years I have not seen this phenomenon,medically called
    Tolerance phenomenon.Three stutters are using this regime under Dr.Brady’s
    supervision for last 4 months and none has observed this phenomenon and are
    satisfied with uniform control of stuttering.
    Addiction potential of alprazolam?Psychiatrists has opinion that as long as
    candidate using alprazolam maintains the control of the disease at certain
    dose,alprazolam is safe.For the indication of stuttering,alprazolam plus
    cloimipramine continues to work at same level at certain doses for indefinite
    time.So there is less likely chance of addiction while using alprazolam for
    stuttering.But those who has history of drug abuse of any kind of sedative
    drug are relatively at risk to develop alprazolam addiction.
    Have the drugs to be taken for lifelong?Yes
    How use of this regime impacts stutter’s life?I and stutters under study of
    Dr.Brady have clearly noticed improved fluency,elimination of avoidance
    behavior and beginning new effective life.
    Who is Dr.Brady?Dr.Brady is an emeritus psychiatrist from University of
    Pennsylvania.He has written many articles for renowned medical journals
    regarding different drug treatments for stuttering used in the history of
    mankind.He has also studied some different drugs for stuttering like
    verapamil,antipsychotic drugs,bethenicol etc.I first knew about him through
    internet in 1998.After I sent information about my theory and my case
    report,he showed his interest to study this regime in other stutters.In his
    opinion without any doubt or question this regime works for stuttering.
    Dosage Start from minimum doses like alprazolam 0.25mg/day and cloimipramine
    25mg/day.Increase doses upto alprazolam 1mg/day and cloimipramine 75-100m/day
    during next 3 weeks.Stay at the same doses for next 2 weeks more.Further
    increase in doses depends upon your physician decision depending upon your
    tolerance to side effects and degree of fluency control you have achieved.
    Conclusion So far Dr.Brady and I thinks that this regime definitely works
    for stuttering.Considering safety
    of the regime stutters are encouraged to take this treatment under
    supervision of family physician or psychiatrist and report their cases to
    address given below.
    Zahir Ali,94-10 60th Ave Apt #1L,Elmhurst NY 11373.Ph 718-699-7974
    Vermillion is offline Reply With Quote

    #40474

    Thecoherentman
    Participant

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marktb68 View Post
    Instead of focusing your attention on outside remedies that merely mask your problem, why not concentrate on becoming more fluent and don’t rely on drugs?

    I haven’t posted here in awhile b/c of the lack of taking responsibility on MOST of the members. If you guys/gals are looking for a quick fix, keep looking. It doesn’t exist. Your fluency is inside you. It takes hard work and NO MORE EXCUSES. However, some people love to feel sorry for themselves and put others down who have become fluent. It reinforces something inside them.

    Its amazing to me that I posted my phone number and NOT A SINGLE PERSON called it. The only reason I responded to this is because I got a message in my yahoo inbox about a reply.

    think about overcoming your fears and stuttering and not looking to xanax to solve your problems.

    Mark

    @urbanmermaid 39265 wrote:

    It really annoys me to read things like that and on top of all on a stuttering forum…. When is EVERYONE and I mean, EVERYONE going to realize that stuttering is not something that you can control just like that??

    How do you overcome your fears Mark? Telling yourself to “slow down”, “spit it out”, will that eliminate your stutter, maybe lower your dopamine levels, fix that complex brain chemistry imbalance? People don’t stutter because they’re scared, the stuttering generates anxiety which is a big problem. Maybe by calling you people will suddenly become stronger and overcome their fears??

    I was talking to someone the other day and I realized, in cases of OCD for example (which was untreatable in the past, no drugs were available for it), no one will go telling you bulls**t like “don’t think about it, eliminate your fears, you’re weak, become a stronger person”.. NO, they’ll give you drugs straight away to treat your condition. OCD can get pretty bad in people who don’t treat it. Same with stuttering, thing is, it has been ignored for soo long, not studied and researched, made fun of, and there are so many misconceptions about it it’s unbelievable.

    I don’t want to make this a long post because I hate those. I’ll just say that yes, I am in favor of drugs because I’ve tried so many things in the past, lost count of the number of “specialists” I went to (who surprisingly enough said the same kind of stuff… like slow down, take a deep breath, take your time which I’m not saying is bad, just it is NOT what someone with a stutter needs), paid a fortune etc and it didn’t help one bit. Yes, I am taking xanax and it changed my life; No, I’m not addicted to it, I’m on a very low dose and it helps tremendously.

    Sorry if this sounded kind of harsh but one of the things that annoys me MOST is ignorance mainly about stuttering.

    Dear Urbanmermaid,

    You are annoyed by Market68 because he is writing text and does not give any concrete information. This is usually a bad sign. When someone talks and the content is missing it is because he wants something from you that you dont want or you must not give. Perhaps he wants to sell an alternative to Xanax.

    I am for drugs that must help you be healthier while they can reduce stuttering in long term. Unless you need Xanax for anxiety problem I would not recommend it for stuttering. I am certain that stuttering can be “Cured” with more mental alertness and vigilance and of course letting go of control. Xanax is not conducive to mental clarity unless if you have a serious anxiety problem. I am sure there are better ways of reducing the general mild anxieties that a person experiences. Usually adaptogens in shock doses once a month is useful. Drinking a lot of coffee and partying hard (without alcohol) one time a month helps. Contrary to general belief pushing your brain hard and then giving it enough time to rest is better than always be careful of any stress.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 114 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.